The food trucks pull into Newport on Saturday, October 20th for a day full of food and fun at the first ever Newport Food Truck Festival. It will be held from 11am to 4pm at the Newport Yachting Center down on Commerical Wharf. Some participating trucks are : Lobsta Love, Bon Me, Away Cafe, Sweet Truck, Grilled Cheese Nation, and many more. Tasting tickets are sold in groups of 10 and can be purchased in advance. Be sure to arrive early, with an empty stomach, so you can try all your favorites!
October 16th, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
October 9th, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
In the spirit of Fall and Halloween, the Friends of Ballard Park will be hosting the 10th Annual Ballard Park Pumpkin Tour. Pumpkins decorated by various members of the community including school groups, community groups, artists and others, will be displayed along the trails of Ballard Park on October 13th from 4:30 to 9pm. Parking will be available at Rogers High School, which is located across from the park. Ballard Park is Newport’s only Nature Preserve, and this event brings in thousands of people every year. It is free and open to the public. It will be held rain or shine and guests are advised to bring flashlights to help guide themselves along the trails.
The week before the Tour, pumpkin carving parties are held across Aquidneck Island in preparation for the showcase. Pumpkins range from simple jack-o-lanterns, to elaborate carvings. After the Tour, before cleanup on Sunday the 14th, the public is invited to come and take the pumkpins home to display for themselves. This is a great event that brings the community together, and keeps the public interested in maintaining this 13 acre preserve.
October 7th, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
The 22nd annual Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival will be held on October 13th and 14th from 11am to 5pm. In 2005, Coastal Living Magazine named this festival one of the “10 Fabulous Fall Festivals on the Coast,” so don’t miss out on the chance to be a part of the fun. Admission is free, and there will be live entertainment as well as tons of seafood from various local restaurants and fisherman’s associations. Enjoy a wide variety of seafood, from lobster dinners, to stuffed quahogs (a RI favorite), to oysters and clams. Cafe seating will be set up throughout the wharf, so you’ll have a place to enjoy both the food and the entertainment.
October 3rd, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
So this weekend is the International Oktoberfest here in Newport. I thought it would be fitting to have a recipe involving beer for you all to make and enjoy whether or not you’re able to celebrate downtown. This is a Bed & Breakfast, though, so I was hoping for a recipe your could enjoy for breakfast, but most recipes involving beer are for stews or chicken and what not. There’s always beer bread, but thats kind of predictable. Thankfully, I found something involving beer for the most important meal of the day, so for all you beer lovers who want to bring some beer into your breakfast, here’s a recipe for Beer Coffee Cake.
- 2 cups all-purpose biscuit mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2/3 cup beer
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup chopped peacans
- For coffee cake: in a bowl, combine biscuit mix, sugar and ginger
- In a separate bowl, combine beer and egg
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients, stirring lighly, just until moistened
- Pour mixture into a greased 9-inch round cake pan
- For topping: combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and pecans
- Cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly
- Sprinkle over coffee cake batter
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes
- Serve warm or cold
September 30th, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
If you’re staying here at the Inn during Columbus Day weekend, don’t forget to check out this year’s International Oktoberfest down at the Newport Yachting Center. Celebrate the weekend with live entertainment, family fun, international foods, and of course, BEER! The fun starts at 12pm and lasts until 8pm both Saturday and Sunday, and tickets range from $17-$40. Quench your thirst with a variety of beers including: Warsteiner, Spaten, Amstel, Sam Adams, Harpoon, Newport Storm, Guiness, Harp and Sierra Nevada. And when you need to fill your stomach, enjoy food from Schnitzels & Giggles, the Smoke House, and Julian’s Omnibus. When your stomach and glass is full, spend some time listening to one of the many bands and watch the dancers that are set to take the stage. It’s sure to be a great weekend!
September 26th, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
Fall is officially here, and there’s nothing better than the comfort of pumpkin on a crisp Autumn morning. This recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes with Nutmeg Whipped Cream will be the perfect start to any fall day.
- 2 1/3 cup pancake mix
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- For whipped cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whisk together the pancake mix, white sugar, cinnamon, 1/3 teaspoon nutmeg, and ginger; set aside
- Beat together the eggs, milk, pumpkin, and vegetable oil
- Combine the two mixtures, stirring just until all ingredients are moistened
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat
- Using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake, pour batter onto the griddle
- Cook until the edges of the pancakes start to look dry, and a bubbles popped near the edge holds its shape
- Flip the pancakes over, and continue cooking until the other side is golden brown
- Repeat with remaining batter
- Stack the pancakes on a plate and keep warm until serving
- Place whipping cream in a small, deep, chilled bowl
- Add the 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg
- Beat using a mixer with chilled beaters on medium-high speed until soft peaks form
September 17th, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
The 7th Annual Newport Mansion Food & Wine Festival will be held this weekend, September 21-23 at Rosecliff, the Elms and Marble House. This three day festival will be home to over 100 of the world’s finest vintners and over two dozen of New England’s finest restaurants and caterers. This year’s special guests are Emeril Lagasse and Jacques Pepin. The festival includes two days of “Grand Tastings” on the Marble House lawn, cooking demonstrations by national and regional chefs, seminars led by wine experts, live and silent auctions, the Collectible Wine Dinner at the Elms, and the Wine & Rosecliff gala celebration. Don’t miss the opportunity to taste some of the world’s best wines!
September 2nd, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
The Newport International Boat Show is back starting on September 13th, continuing until Sunday, September 16th and will take place at the Newport Yachting Center, Bannister’s and Bowens Wharf, and the Oldport Marine. This boat show is one of the biggest “in-water” boat shows in the US and will feature a wide variety of both international and domestic powerboats and sailboats. Never before seen boats will be on display and there will be a variety of seminars and services as well as a large selection of marine equipment and products. Tickets range from $15 to $30 and can be bought in advance, or day of. Even if you don’t know anything about boats, it is sure to be a spectacular site that should not be missed if you’re around.
August 30th, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
When visiting Newport, it seems like everyone is looking for the best seafood around. Lobster and the delicious lobster rolls they become, are usually a crowd favorite. Well, guests at the Marshall Slocum Inn have to look no further than our very own kitchen to find a great tasting lobster roll. The Lobster Roll Boxed Lunch for Two includes two freshly made lobster rolls, kettle potato chips, chocolate chip cookies and water for $38.00 per couple. Place your order at our Concierge Desk by 10am and have your lunch ready to enjoy during a break in your walk along Cliff Walk, along the water on Ocean Drive, or even on the back porch of the Inn!
August 26th, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
It’s Sunday, and what could be better than sleeping in and then enjoying a nice filling brunch? I’ll tell you… not much. And since it’s peach season over at Sweetberry Farm, make sure to use those fresh picked peaches in this recipe for Blueberry-Sour Cream Waffles with Peaches.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3 ounces butter, melted
- 4 cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 5 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cinnamon
- 2 pounds sliced peaches
- powdered sugar
- Preheat Belgian waffle iron
- To make waffles: Separate eggs. Add milk, butter, sour cream, baking soda, baking powder, flour and salt to the yolks. Mix until combined. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, add the sugar and beat until stiff. Fold egg whites into batter mixture.
- Pour 3/4 to 1 cup batter into iron
- Place 10 to 12 blueberries in batter and cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown
- For topping: melt butter in large skillet. Add nutmeg, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add peaches and cook over medium heat until peaches are very soft
- Spoon peach mixture over waffles and sprinkle with powdered sugar
- (Makes 10-12 servings)