The Historic Newport Mansions are some of the biggest attractions when visiting Newport and if it wasn’t for the Preservation Society of Newport County, we wouldn’t be able to enjoy these historic houses and learn about what life was like when they were private homes.
The Preservation Society of Newport County was founded in 1945 by a small group led by Mrs. George Henry Warren, as a means of saving the Hunter House. They were concerned that the interiors of the house would be removed after being sold, so the purchased the house, formed the Preservation Society and restored the Hunter House. Since then, the Preservation Society of Newport County has acquired 11 properties and landscapes, of which 7 are National Historic Landmarks.
This non-profit organization is Rhode Island’s largest cultural organization. Their mission is to protect, preserve and present their collected of houses and landscapes. They represent America’s architectural and social development from the Colonial era through the Gilded Age. The Preservation Society of Newport County offers guests a view into each properties architecture, landscapes, interiors and social history.
The Preservation Society itself has it’s headquarters on Bellevue Avenue in a three-story Romanesque Revival mansion from 1888. This building was purchased by the society in 1992 and went through a restoration and renovation to transform it into their administrative headquarters.