The 22nd annual Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival will be held on October 13th and 14th from 11am to 5pm. In 2005, Coastal Living Magazine named this festival one of the “10 Fabulous Fall Festivals on the Coast,” so don’t miss out on the chance to be a part of the fun. Admission is free, and there will be live entertainment as well as tons of seafood from various local restaurants and fisherman’s associations. Enjoy a wide variety of seafood, from lobster dinners, to stuffed quahogs (a RI favorite), to oysters and clams. Cafe seating will be set up throughout the wharf, so you’ll have a place to enjoy both the food and the entertainment.
Archive for the ‘Newport Seasons’ Category
October 7th, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
September 30th, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
If you’re staying here at the Inn during Columbus Day weekend, don’t forget to check out this year’s International Oktoberfest down at the Newport Yachting Center. Celebrate the weekend with live entertainment, family fun, international foods, and of course, BEER! The fun starts at 12pm and lasts until 8pm both Saturday and Sunday, and tickets range from $17-$40. Quench your thirst with a variety of beers including: Warsteiner, Spaten, Amstel, Sam Adams, Harpoon, Newport Storm, Guiness, Harp and Sierra Nevada. And when you need to fill your stomach, enjoy food from Schnitzels & Giggles, the Smoke House, and Julian’s Omnibus. When your stomach and glass is full, spend some time listening to one of the many bands and watch the dancers that are set to take the stage. It’s sure to be a great weekend!
September 26th, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
Fall is officially here, and there’s nothing better than the comfort of pumpkin on a crisp Autumn morning. This recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes with Nutmeg Whipped Cream will be the perfect start to any fall day.
- 2 1/3 cup pancake mix
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- For whipped cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whisk together the pancake mix, white sugar, cinnamon, 1/3 teaspoon nutmeg, and ginger; set aside
- Beat together the eggs, milk, pumpkin, and vegetable oil
- Combine the two mixtures, stirring just until all ingredients are moistened
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat
- Using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake, pour batter onto the griddle
- Cook until the edges of the pancakes start to look dry, and a bubbles popped near the edge holds its shape
- Flip the pancakes over, and continue cooking until the other side is golden brown
- Repeat with remaining batter
- Stack the pancakes on a plate and keep warm until serving
- Place whipping cream in a small, deep, chilled bowl
- Add the 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg
- Beat using a mixer with chilled beaters on medium-high speed until soft peaks form
July 21st, 2012 by Marshall Slocum Inn
Not only is Newport the home of various festivals throughout the summer, but it is also the host of the aptly named, Newport Summer Comedy Series. The comedians stand up in the Newport Yacht Center located on Commercial Wharf. Many big named comedians are in this summer’s line up, and just last night Seth Meyers made the crowds roar with laughter.
I myself was in attendance and had a great time. Doors opened at 6:30 for the 7:30 show, and there was plenty to do to pass the time. Food and beverage vendors were available and there was lots of space to mingle with the crowd and grab a quick bite to eat or something to drink before the show. Unlike many shows I’ve experiences, this one actually started on time. The opening act for Meyers was Colin Jost, another writer from SNL, who performed for a good 30 minutes before promptly introducing the main act, Seth Meyers. Meyers hit the stage and it was all laughs until the end. His act involved political jokes, pokes at gender roles, tales of living abroad and a few bits from the SNL News Desk that never made it to air. He went for over an hour and the show ended around 9:15, leaving everyone with smiles on their faces.
There will be another show tomorrow night (Sunday, July 22) featuring Lisa Lampanelli and the following Sunday (July 29) featuring Ralphie May. Some other names coming to Newport for the summer series include: Bob Marley, Jim Breuer, Kevin Hart and Gabriel Iglesias. Be sure to check one out!