In honor of the Newport Chowder Fest that happened last Saturday, I thought it would be appropriate to start off our new weekly recipe post with none other than a Newport Chowder Recipe! The following recipe for “Newport Clam Chowder” has rave reviews on Allrecipe.com, and is sure to be a crowd pleaser. This recipe is sure to remind anyone of the great times they had in Newport and will make them feel they’re back at the wharf watching the sailboats come in and out. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup all- purpose flour
- 1 quart shucked clams, with liquid
- 6 (8 ounce) jars clam juice
- 1 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- salt and peppe,r to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill weed
- Melt butter in a large kettle or stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until clear. Stir in flour and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate pot, bring clams and clam juice to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, cover peeled potatoes with water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Slowly pour hot clam stock into butter/flour mixture while stirring constantly. Continue stirring and slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add cooked potatoes. Mix in half and half, salt and pepper and chopped dill. Heat through but do not boil.